The Institute’s 28 laboratories conduct research programs involving 6 clinical departments, 25 rare disease reference centers and 2 clinical investigation centers at Necker – Enfants malades Hospital in Paris. The challenges met by the Imagine Institute are to increase our knowledge of diseases, and to offer patients the diagnostic and therapeutic approaches they expect in a field where only 50% of pathologies are diagnosed and only 10% can be treated.
IHU and Institut Carnot awards
Imagine received two prominent awards from the French government, highlighting its excellence in science and first hand care, along with its track record and compliance with best practices in technology transfer:
- Institut Hospitalo-Universitaire (IHU) for Imagine’s translational research activities, in 2011 and 2019 under the Investment for the Future Program
- Institut Carnot in 2020 - and Tremplin Carnot in 2016 - for Imagine’s activities in R&D partnerships with industry
Main facts and figures
A translational research institute dedicated to genetic diseases
- Scientific expertise: 400+ researchers, 24 research labs and 4 associated labs
- Clinical expertise: 500+ healthcare professionals, 8 clinical units, 25 Rare Diseases Reference Centers, 2 Clinical Investigation Centers
- 15 core facilities: data science, transgenesis, iPS, single-cell transciptomics, biobank, histology, genomics, cytometry, animal facilities, gene transfer, cell imaging, proteomics, and bioinformatics
- 6 Integrated Care and Research Programs: Immunology / Infectiology, Hematology, Cardiology and development, Nephrology, Neurosciences, and Translational bioinformatics.
- University Hospital Institute since 2011
- Institut Carnot since 2020 (Tremplin Carnot from 2016 to 2019)
- 500+ scientific publications every year in several therapeutic areas
- 385 therapeutic and diagnostic solutions at various preclinical and clinical development stages of development incl. 96 arising from Imagine labs’ research activities
- 40+ active patent families
- 10 startup companies founded
- Imagine Bioentrepreneurs Launchpad education program, partnered with with Paris University, HEC Paris and Ecole Polytechnique
- Coordination of the 2017-2020 Area of Major Interest « Gene therapy » of Paris Region
Skills and expertise
- Phenotyping and genotyping: natural history, phenotypic characterization, cohort studies
- Genotyping: genomics and bioinformatics, phenotypic/genotype correlation
- Preclinical research: new cell and animal models, cellular and molecular mechanisms characterization, identification of new relevant therapeutic targets, gene and cell therapies, preclinical proof-of-concept studies.
- Clinical research: clinical proof-of-concept studies and other clinical studies, operational and logistical support in setting up and following up studies, decision support (databases, clinical expertise) enabling the identification and targeted recruitment of patients.